Saturday, August 15, 2009

Mine and Their's, pt. 2

So this is about social distribution of goods:

We know that there are goods. There have to be, we require them. We require them to live. Right? Animals eat food, and hey: so do humans. Animals also build houses as do the hominids. If there were no goods, there would be no discussion. So: they aren't scarce. It's as simple as that. So there!

The point is that scarcity is not a salient theoretical principle for use in economics theory. So, the reader of this blog can see how I find myself completely outside of the goings-on university side.

In fact, I recently read something very interesting from J.M. Keynes on how capital should not be understood as a scarce good. That is an example of my thought converging with some well-known economists' thought. So, as I mentioned in the last post, that happens too.

And I'll keep doing what I was doing today, which is looking into this book thingie called "Lords of Finance" which is actually a "Chapter One" book, courtesy NYT. Also not scarce --- assuming you have an internet connection and the (scarce) fossil fuels keep feeding the server farms. The common link is that this book, as well, finds great appreciation as well as interest in J. M. Keynes, who, predictably, is dispised by some of the mainstream-type economists.

When you study this stuff, you have got to simply continuously shake your head...or I do mine, at any rate.

No comments: